Thursday, April 25, 2013

ER Trip

On a Saturday evening in mid-September I got a call from a random number...when my phone was on silent in the other room. And then another call. And a voicemail. And a few text messages. I found all this about 20 minutes after the fact. Josh was at his church softball game when he threw out his back mid-play...to the point when he had to be carried off the field. And carried to the back of our car.  Just to put this in perspective, Josh has never been carried off the field in all his years of baseball.

I drove him to the ER and after some heavy painkillers, a bad reaction to morphine, and setting up a physical therapy appointment we headed home. The RAs had been over when I got the call, so being the champs that they are they took care of Nay, put her down for bed, and waited around to help Josh back into the building upon our arrival (or maybe they just waited up to see how loopy the pain meds had made Josh...which was definitely entertaining for everyone around!!).  It was a rough week or so as Josh couldn't be left alone with Naomi because he wasn't able to pick her up or follow her around. He walked around the apartment with a hiking pole as his cane, and the painkillers he was on made him constantly tired. In fact, I was having a conversation with him, went in our bedroom to grab something, and came back to this:
Hahahahaha! Thankfully he steadily improved, and we are thankful that it there have been no major pain or side-effects that have persisted past the month or so it took him to get back to normal :)

1 comment:

  1. Poor Josh :( So glad that this story is history now!
    I think you can officially say that morphine and Josh do not agree--it may not be an allergic reaction but if it makes him sick they shouldn't give it to him. Michael and I have had the same reaction. Not fun!

    ReplyDelete